Can two nerds do it? Take the most epic journey across the Final Fantasy Universe ever? Can they avoid being knocked down in I, find the first Chocobos in II, play the long, lost forgotten cousin III, cleanse their soul in IV, save the crystals in V, blabber on and on about how great VI is, and then go beyond, into the world of 3D, emo, and fantastically absurd hair? Read, and find out!

Thursday, March 1, 2007

MY epic journey




Cute little game so far. I played a little bit of Final Fantasy Uno on the NES, or an NES emulator, anyway, but I never got too far. So I have some vague memories of the original sound/graphics/dialogue, etc. Let me tell you, dash button = love. I will expound upon this further when we get to FF6 and I can talk about how goddamn annoying it is to be about to go into Kefka's tower only to discover that you only have one pair of sprint shoes, and no place in the World of Ruin sells the fucking things. But I digress. Anyway!





So, thoughts on FF1 Advance, or Origins, or Dawn of Whatever. Cute remixes of the music, cute graphics (that look a lot like FF5.) The jumping out of bed is cute and reminds me of FF4. I was wicked pissed when I died, went back to an inn to heal, promptly leaped back into battle only to discover that my dead guy hadn't gotten better from a good night's sleep, and that I'd have to pay for a resurrection a la Dragon Quest 4, and then ANOTHER night at the inn as my guy's hp was at minimum. It is a quality of old-school games that they actively conspire to screw you over. Like in Mario: The Lost Levels, where there are freaking poisonous mushrooms that come out of the boxes to seek you out and kill you. Not cool. Luckily, I got so lost wandering around that I ended up gaining a bunch of levels and getting a bunch of money. I also knocked Garland down, for what it's worth.








Hey, Monk, Sabin called, and he wants his hair back!












Your mom came when darkness veiled the world last night.










Talk about a lame thank-you-for-saving-my-daughter-from-being-killed-by-demons present. A bridge? In your own kingdom? that you should have fixed yourself anyway? Jesus Christ.







Ah, you've got to love the Advance re-translations and their cutesy double-entenres.
Anyway, for tomorrow, boat rides, and whatever other crap this game throws my way. See you then!
-Kammy

No comments:


Mr. Cactuar says: This page has had unique visitors since July 6, 2007.