Can two nerds do it? Take the most epic journey across the Final Fantasy Universe ever? Can they avoid being knocked down in I, find the first Chocobos in II, play the long, lost forgotten cousin III, cleanse their soul in IV, save the crystals in V, blabber on and on about how great VI is, and then go beyond, into the world of 3D, emo, and fantastically absurd hair? Read, and find out!

Thursday, March 1, 2007

And, it starts.


We've opted for the newer, fancier 'Dawn of Souls' edition. The obligatory Matola and Kammy O'Rile are there, as well as Fiturrrr and Sylar. Yes, I am on a Heroes kick. Ask Kamarile, who will probably have a monk named M(o)hindy.

One thing I love about Final Fantasy I is the totally random stat gains that you get. Occasionally, you'll get 2hp at level up. Sometimes, 28.

After getting a few such sets of stat gains, I left the safety of my starting town and headed off to smack Garland around to rescue to Princess (whom was slipped a roofie by the Big G).

No true Blog would ignore a change to put in everyone's favorite quote from the series.



After a ridiculously easy fight (sleep actually worked, for once) where the swordsman never even hit me, let alone 'knock me down', I head back to the castle with the Princess, receive a bridge to leave our little subcontinent, and a... lute.

And this is what they expect us to save the world with?


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The random stat gains thing drives me F'ING INSANE. (You seem to prefer PG-13 rated language in this blog, and I'd hate to offend.)

It's particularly maddening if you're playing a challenge party and every single HP counts, especially early on. You can turn it to your advantage, though. Early in the game, stagger your characters' levels by fighting battles\gaining exp with various different characters dead, so that each character levels up at a different point. Wait until a character is really close to a new level, like one or two battles away from it, and start saving the game after every battle. That way when the character levels up, if you get sucky HP gain or stats, you can re-set the game and fight that last battle again, gaining the level at the end of it, and just keep doing so until the random roll gives you a decent HP and stat gain.

Yes, aggravatingly time consuming, but what did you expect with a party of white mages?

I'm not quite sure if the HP\stat gains are completely and utterly random, or if, for example, a Fighter is always going to go up by 50 HP and 5 in each stat (plucked those numbers out of the air) per each 10 levels gained, but it's random which levels provide you with how many of the points. If that makes sense.

I'm planning on testing this out by doing the aforementioned level staggering and min\maxing with two of the party members, trying for the best random stat gain possible with one and the worst with the other. I'll be recording the HP and stats at each level to see just how big a gap I can engineer between two characters of the same class at the same level. If it won't let me create a significant gap, then we'll know it isn't as random as it seems... on the other hand if I end up with two level 50 Black Mages, one with 100 HP and one with 500 HP, it's a pretty safe bet that the stat gains are absolutely random. Which is kind of sucky.


Mr. Cactuar says: This page has had unique visitors since July 6, 2007.