Can two nerds do it? Take the most epic journey across the Final Fantasy Universe ever? Can they avoid being knocked down in I, find the first Chocobos in II, play the long, lost forgotten cousin III, cleanse their soul in IV, save the crystals in V, blabber on and on about how great VI is, and then go beyond, into the world of 3D, emo, and fantastically absurd hair? Read, and find out!

Thursday, March 29, 2007

Finally!

Now comes the time to complete my quest, according to this statue that randomly talks to you.


Why is it that like, every final dungeon ever has a part where you're walking on little shiny glass blocks in space? Is this just really easy to do with pixels, or something?




Whee, final boss time! I don't know much more about him besides that he's the Dark King, he's somehow evil and threatening the crystals, and he's, I guess, a dude with green skin.



Oooh, but now I see his true form. He's a guy with green skin and shit tons of arms.



OMG, I was tricked again! His TRUE true form is a giant spider!




ERGH, no! It's a giant wormy-armed spidery creature from Hell!


Thankfully he doesn't morph any more.




At last! But look, here comes the mysterious old man who's been giving me cryptic advice since the beginning of the game! Maybe now I'll learn his true identity!






....what the fuck?! he was a CRYSTAL? Okay, this is retarded. I am leaving this world and sailling away on my sweetass ship, to search for new, and better adventures.



Hip hip, hooray!


Ah, peace at last... but oh wait, what's this?


If this game were a sitcom, everyone would laugh and then there'd be a freezeframe while the credits ran.

So that just about does it for Mystic Quest. Okay, I still like this game for what it is. It's lame, it's easy, it's cutesy, but my nostalgia is too powerful to overcome. I think, believe it or not, we should actually have MORE RPGs intended for younger kids with short attention spans. Most RPGs are for the tween-teen crowd, and nowadays they're geared towards even older consumers. This was the perfect game for me when I was six, and had no idea what levelling up was, and didn't want to have a Cliff's Notes handy in order to understand what the plot was and where I needed to go next. And it did get me into other, more legitimate RPGs. Let's start putting the next generation in front of television screens right now, Squeenix! You heard it here. I give Mystic Quest a 4/10.

Coming up next: Matty is back from vacation, and we get back on track with Final Fantasy III, the last FF game for the NES!

1 comment:

Laurence Brodeur said...

So is this game a FF iteration at all? Because the floating spaces is something was that there pretty intensively in both X and XII and let's not go into the morphing of final bosses. When he has all his arms out it looks like the buddha dances of multiple hands ... but not as pretty. Or maybe, not pretty at all.


Mr. Cactuar says: This page has had unique visitors since July 6, 2007.