Can two nerds do it? Take the most epic journey across the Final Fantasy Universe ever? Can they avoid being knocked down in I, find the first Chocobos in II, play the long, lost forgotten cousin III, cleanse their soul in IV, save the crystals in V, blabber on and on about how great VI is, and then go beyond, into the world of 3D, emo, and fantastically absurd hair? Read, and find out!

Monday, July 23, 2007

Why I love FFV: Weird translations

So, one thing that stands out is the really weird translation that they've given the GBA rerelease of FF5. I mean, half of the time it seems like they're talking about some weird STD. "Such a pity! That bedamned clapperclaw has taken the queen in her sexual prime!".

There's also some interesting phrases used instead of... well, let's just pick "Holy Crap!". I mean, I suppose it's plausible that they have Christmas. And, instead of reindeer, I suppose Santa drags his airship with eight frisky black chocobos.

I know, I should probably hate these
weird bits of dialogue. And I do -- I think that the Jumping Christmas! thing is absurd. I like the thought of an archaic speaking (fake) King Tycoon, though. As though a father is going to pick a random dungeon to talk to his daughter about the dangers of the clap.

And, look! You get a town of secret homosexuals. Look! They're macking on Butz! And, if you dance for them, they throw gil at you! You're a cheap 100 gil harlot!

That's why _I_ love FFV.


No comments:


Mr. Cactuar says: This page has had unique visitors since July 6, 2007.