Can two nerds do it? Take the most epic journey across the Final Fantasy Universe ever? Can they avoid being knocked down in I, find the first Chocobos in II, play the long, lost forgotten cousin III, cleanse their soul in IV, save the crystals in V, blabber on and on about how great VI is, and then go beyond, into the world of 3D, emo, and fantastically absurd hair? Read, and find out!

Friday, July 20, 2007

Why I love FFV - Ridiculously weird storylines

So, for all of my being on a high horse about how plot and... uh, stuff are important, FFV is pretty ridiculous. I mean, it's probably one of the more ridiculous of the series. I don't think the early games had enough plot, and I think the later ones actually had more serious attentions placed upon things like script writing.

All that said, FFV is great. You get sucked up by a friendly sea beastie, because swimming is just too damn hard, you get to do an obligatory 'the castle will explode in 10 minutes' run, where you curse loudly at every single fire-based beast that the game could throw at you... really, this game, much like FF4, sets the groundwork for what makes Final Fantasy... well, Final Fantasy. And, for some reason, it does it in a way that doesn't bug me as much as FF4 did.



Not only do you get all that, you ALSO get friendly NPCs that concisely summarize the entire plot of the game for you in one easy to manage sentence, thereby rendering our blog unnecessary. [Don't worry -- we'll keep soldiering on.] Of course, some of you are more interested in what our individual randomized play style is like, but I've got a screenshot for that too.


I think that a lot of thought went into this retranslation. It's not perfect, but it's pretty well executed, and it's nice to have a slightly different flavor to something that I know so well.

No comments:


Mr. Cactuar says: This page has had unique visitors since July 6, 2007.