Can two nerds do it? Take the most epic journey across the Final Fantasy Universe ever? Can they avoid being knocked down in I, find the first Chocobos in II, play the long, lost forgotten cousin III, cleanse their soul in IV, save the crystals in V, blabber on and on about how great VI is, and then go beyond, into the world of 3D, emo, and fantastically absurd hair? Read, and find out!

Friday, December 7, 2007

Six Innovations: 3/3

So, for my final FF6 post before our joint ending summary, I'll throw out the two final innovations I wanted to bring up.

What makes FF6 one of my favorite games is that they took the concept of multiple worlds from FF5, but did them right.    This screenshot?   One of the most epic testaments to how awesome the game is.

And it's only eight little words.

Check it.   You're fighting this epic battle for truth, justice, and light.   You hit your epic climax, where you stare evil in the face on a giant floating continent.  Your psuedo-ally, ninja for hire, slits-his-mamas-throat-for-nickels, has sacrificed himself to save you and your party, and then what happens?

Total.  World.   Annihilation.

Eight little words open up the entire rest of the plot.   And the plot is good.  Amen.
FFVI313
FFVI164
      Suicide references abound in FF6.
And, last?  The plot. 

Which is really deserving of a post unto itself.   (Maybe Kamarile will bring up a post for it).    But I'll mention it briefly.

I have 1500 pictures.   Most of which are some sort of interesting in-game dialogue.   This game, to me, is probably the pinnacle of story-driven gaming.  

Kamarile and I have argued much in the past, as you no doubt have heard me mention.   Great plot won't forgive horrible gameplay, great gameplay will do much to forgive horrible plot.

But, in the case of FF6?   It almost makes me believe that plot could forgive all evils.

But then I remember X-2, and think that no amount of plot could forgive that.

No comments:


Mr. Cactuar says: This page has had unique visitors since July 6, 2007.