Can two nerds do it? Take the most epic journey across the Final Fantasy Universe ever? Can they avoid being knocked down in I, find the first Chocobos in II, play the long, lost forgotten cousin III, cleanse their soul in IV, save the crystals in V, blabber on and on about how great VI is, and then go beyond, into the world of 3D, emo, and fantastically absurd hair? Read, and find out!

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Seventh Inning Stretch

Wow.   It's hard to believe that we're up to round 7 of the Blog.   We're practically finished, we are.

Final Fantasy 7 still has a special place in my heart.   I was 17, a plucky young junior in High School, and we spent our weekends alternating between playing Magic: The Gathering, Dungeons and Dragons, and Final Fantasy VII.

It was my first RPG team sport, if you will.   I even remember when one of our clan was penalty boxed and exiled from the house when he erased the save game that was thirty hours in.   Whoops.

For those of us who came from sprite-based games, it was amazing popping in that first (of THREE!) disks, and seeing these... people (blocky people, yes, but stay with me) on screen.

People!  They... looked realistic.   A little pointy, but realistic all the same.

This was huge!  No longer were storymakers bound by the limits of pixels!  We could have fantastic creations, each one more beautiful than the last.

You'll soon hear me decry this fantastic innovation as the giant-ass sword through the heart of what makes the series great, of course, but still, at the time, this was huge in a good way.

I'll start my journey later this week; I've got a lot of crazy work stuff coming up due, including major deadlines in my first quarter-million dollar project, as well as some wacky home renovations during the holidays, but rest assured, you, the reader, are at the forefront of my mind.   [Interesting fact:  While in a meeting for said work project, the lead programmer's cell phone rang and it was his wife.  Her ringtone?   Totally FF related.]

Plus, if I play my cards right in this playthrough, I'll have the opportunity to use the hoyay and racism tags in the same post.   How awesome is that?

CloudLego 
The real thing isn't really less ridiculous.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

:D I stumbled upon your blog by mistake. Maybe not mistake (kismet?) as I was looking for "Blogging Zelda". As we both (and all) have come to find, it's no longer up! =( So I've started reading your blog and I really must say...I enjoy reading it! I've tried doing something like this myself...a few years ago but back then it was a little hard to find FF1 and 2. So I started with the FF with Locke (can't remember the name). Anyhow, I hope that you'll continue your gaming! FF7 and FF9 are by far one of my favorites, so I'll be happy to read your walkthrough. :D Happy Holidays!


Mr. Cactuar says: This page has had unique visitors since July 6, 2007.